Monday, November 19, 2012

The Horowitz Steinway is back!

Today I got reacquainted with an old friend who was visiting Vancouver, courtesy of Tom Lee Music: number 314503 or simply 503, a.k.a. the Horowitz Steinway.
In 2005, I enjoyed the ease, fluidity, singing tone and power of this instrument and it was a pleasure to spend another hour with it as I am preparing the Bowen recital less than a week away.
I also have been working on Bach's D Minor Concerto BWV 1052 for an upcoming concert next year, so it was interesting to test the "work in progress" on this Steinway.
So for fun, here is a short video of the encounter.



P.S.: This year though, the touch felt different, not as effortless. I blamed my memory at first but then I just learned that someone tampered with the action and altered the instrument before it reached Vancouver. This is truly unfortunate and hopefully, Steinway's top technician will be able to bring it back to its former glory.